With the improving technology and its acceptance in the world, it makes sense to start the business on a sound tech foundation. Adopting appropriate technology systems for their increased efficiency regarding speed, security, accurateness, access to the outside world and many other reasons achieved. That’s where software and websites come in.
To improve the chances of our business, we develop or just install the necessary software for performing daily tasks and create a website which will be an information and marketing platform for the market.
What is software?
The software also called computer software, is a set of organized instructions consisting of the operating systems, utilities, programs and applications the computer uses.
The types of software ;
- System software which is created to perform the necessary functionalities of any computer. It includes the operating system and utility software (within the operating system). The two depend on each other in their functioning to allow users to interact with the hardware. There is also preinstallation on the machine.
- Application software which is software designed for a specific purpose. Meant for the end users. Employs capabilities of the computer to handle specific and everyday tasks developed by the users. Example of which is the spreadsheet, web browser, word processor, and many others.
What is the best business software for small business
We need to know the possible choices of accounting and management software and come up with the best software that will suit our capital and is flexible enough to handle all the tasks we need. The list of factors to look into depends on every business. Why do we need the software? What budget are we running? How user-friendly is the software? How satisfactory is the software?
We split down the choices of software into accounting and management software.
Accounting software helps in tracking the business’ finances. It covers all programs and applications used to manage and process funds of the company. It monitors the movement of money into and out of business. It is much more efficient compared to the analog bookkeeping which was tedious and prone to mistakes.
Account software helps to overcome bottlenecks as wrong audit information and noncompliance with internal and legal standards and requirements.
What are the essential features of an accounting software?
- Accounting – the most crucial functionality and includes billing, keeping track of accounts receivable (what customers owe) and their corresponding payments and accounts payable (bills).
- Banking – should provide a link to our bank account thus allow direct payments into the accounting and import information from the account.
- Check handling capability – should be able to print out and process checks.
- Reports – should generate reports such as money in and money out informs and other distinguished range of information if necessary
- Shipping – for online businesses.
- Inventory management – keep track of the stock.
- Merchant account support – enables payment via credit cards.
- Payroll generation.
What to consider best accounting software for small retail business
- Profitability of the software – will the output outweigh the cost and maintenance of the software? Will it lead o business growth?
- Business? The most convenient would be what take.
- Controlled access – does it allow control of rights? Should be able to restrict users to their assigned duties and roles.
- Customization – does it allow tailoring or is it well suited to your specific business needs.
- Ease of use – it should be easy enough for all employees to understand the working. This process also includes how the organization of functionalities, should be easy enough to access them.
- Pricing – with our capital, can we afford the software?
- Reliability – should be efficient, convenient and dependable.
- Most software gives a free trial to test and approve of the software.
Types of small business accounting software
1. The QuickBooks.
QuickBooks is developed and marketed by Intuit.
According to Bussiness news, daily 2017 research Intuit QuickBooks Online is the best accounting software for small businesses.
It has been undergoing improvements from its initial release, with every version offering more and better-improved features.
It is easy to use and well-designed to serve a variety of users. It offers an economical pricing and connects to your business bank accounts thus easier transactions with the bank account. It provides vital features like as invoicing, tracking expenses, inventory management, ordering purchase and reporting.
It features flexible contact records, customizable report templates, numerous add-ons and well-defined payroll support. It is very much used by most accountants thus making transmission of information between departments and outside more comfortable because of its familiarity.
• Poor online documentation.
• Absent dedicated project-tracking
It gives a thirty day free trial period which if skipped, we get a 50% discount for the next six months subscription.
It offers four cost plans:
• Self-employed plan(most basic) that costs $10 per month
It has the essential features and mostly designed for independent contractors and freelancers.
• Simple start plan that costs $10 per month.
It Supports the single user and tracks sales and sales tax.
• Essential plan that costs $35 per month
Supports multiple users and includes features of other programs along with bill management and time tracking.
• Plus plan that costs $50 per month
Can track inventory and can perform many different comprehensive tasks.
It is a cloud-based accounting software which is easier to use than QuickBooks. It supports more than 50 integrations (including email and payroll programs).
It gives thirty days free trial and subscription-based pricing from $19.95 per month up to $39.95 per month after the trial period.
This process makes it quite expensive.
3. Wave Accounting
It is also a cloud-based software and was named the best free accounting software for small businesses by Business News Daily.
Wave accounting is also for small businesses(less than ten members).
It gives excellent functionality free of charge with free user forums for support or lives support packages at $9 per month if our needs are much more complicated.
It is the best small business management software
Small business Accounting apps
Most accounting software has come up with their mobile apps, a significant help in the business world to allow control over the business from a remote device.
The various types accounting apps include:
It is an online accounting application which is designed to offer a more efficient and fun way of managing accounts for a small business.
The app imports all the financial transactions into its database and links them up with the corresponding accounting transactions.
It offers three pricing plans;
- Starter plan ($9 per month) for limited invoicing and reconciliation features.
-Standard procedure ($30 per month) for unlimited invoicing and reconciliation.
-Premium 10 plan ($70 per month) with much-enhanced features.
Makes it easy to invoice customers, track expenses, synchronize my bank accounts and also choose payment in one intuitive interface.
Offers time to track to help accurate billing.
FreeAgent’s Universal plan costs $10 per month for the first six months the $20 per month for the rest of time.
An online app for invoicing, time management and online payments.
It allows the creation of an unlimited number of invoices, adds my logo before sending them in bulk to my various clients.
Its multilingual nature allows communication with customers globally, a significant advantage.
Nutcache Pro plan costs $5 per user/per month (paid on an annual basis) and $6 on a monthly basis while Enterprise plan costs $12 per user/ month (paid on a yearly basis) and $15 on a month to month basis.
It is the best app for small business accounting.
It is a FreshBooks software development
Of all the software, FreshBooks excels for its excellent customer service and ease of use and for offering all of the features that small businesses need to manage our finances.
Business management features
• Billing and invoicing
• Employee management
• Financial management
• Inventory management
• Marketing management
• Point of Sale
• Vendor management
• Time and expense tracking
Small business management software
It is a health and wellness business management software.
Provision training through documentation and online lives.
It has a robust set of tools to schedule appointments, securely process payments, manage staff schedules, track our successes and automates daily tasks.
It features just about all management tasks.
Cost $75 per month.
2. Vortex Bussiness management
It is an easy to use software that manages clients, projects and time/billing from within a single platform.
It gives a free trial.
It integrates project management, time/expense tracking, CRM, Invoicing and HR on a single platform.
3. SAP Business One
It is a finance and business management (ERP) system that manages every aspect of our small business.
It is an affordable, accessible to use and complete management solution available on-premise and in the cloud.
It has many options available to ease the workflow process.
It is a free software
It features a syncing element. To sync all our data between the cloud, our desktop, and all our other internet-enabled devices.
5. Zoho one
It is an all in one platform to run the entire business and with over 35 integrated applications on one account.
It makes it easier to customise the entire platform to suit the business.
It has a starting price of $30 per user/per month.
It is excellent easy to use software with an exceptional customer service department thus easy to get answered in case of problems.
Small business accounting software
It is a revolutionary all-in-one suite to run our entire business – an unprecedented over five applications on one account with complete administrative control.its one of best small business accounting software.
Its applications have companion mobile apps to enable running the entire business in one suite.
It makes it possible to reach customers, grow sales. Balance our books and work in productive and collaborative ways from any device with one login. All we need is a login and password from my remote device.
Zoho One connects our sales, marketing, customer support, accounting and much more while also giving us contextual integrations to communicate and work with colleagues, customers, and vendors.
It gives the right information in the right places, empowering my employees to provide useful work.
It is a ‘One Account Complete Control’.
From employee and the team management to application access and organization-wide security, Zoho gives us the power to run my business.
It offers a thirty day free trial period.
Software and web development.
Software development primarily involves all processes in the creation of software right from speculation to final manifestation of the intended software. It includes computer programming, documenting, testing, bug fixing and maintenance of the software.
Why develop software?
• To meet the client/business requirements, in such a case it’s a custom software.
• To meet the perceived needs of a specific group of users, commercial companies or open source software for customisation.
• For personal use, maybe to perform a particular task.
What is a website?
It is a collection of related web pages located in the same domain name. It is essential that your business has a good quality website where people can access information on your product.
Web development is the work involved in creating a website (worldwide web) or intranet (private network). Small businesses only require a single permanent or contracting developer or assigning the role to related job positions like graphic designers or information system technician. It is better when the development is split among departments for efficiency and reducing the workload to maximise specialization benefits.
Web developer specializations include:
• Front-end developer – responsible for layout and visuals of the website.
• Back-end developer – deal with the website’s functionality.
• Full-stack developer – programs in the functions of the site to collect data.
The difference between getting things done or having incomplete unsatisfying tasks lies in your choice of software.