If you have an idea for an app, or you are working to bring your idea to the market, you need the right partner whom will help you get the job done. Unfortunately, onshore web developers and software developers are quite expensive. It's not unusual for a small startup to work with an onshore developer who is likely to charge $100-$160 per hour. As a startup, you're not in the position to pay that kind of money for software development, which is why you need to look for an offshore team whom will provide you with the same services at a fraction of the cost.
What is offshore development?
When choosing to go offshore, you are in a position to utilize and benefit from the lower costs of doing business in another country. Onshore development is when you are working with a company or developers that is/are within your home country. Offshore development is when you are working with developers in a different country. Many countries offer a lower cost of living than your home country, meaning that you will be able to pay a fraction of the cost that you would pay onshore. The quality of the talent is also very comparable to working with an onshore developer or development team.
Here are a few items to consider when you're looking for the right offshore software development team to work with. These considerations ensure that your project is done on time and right.
Software Development Life Cycle:
Most companies today are using agile, but some are stuck in the old waterfall mindset. Agile is a useful methodology for managing the software project. There is one huge reason why this should matter to you: Agile is flexible in allowing you to make changes to project, while other software development procedures aren't as flexible. Here is a quick overview of the steps in agile:
- The first step is that there will be some sort of planning phase. This is when the requirements of the project are evaluated in detail to ensure that the specifications of the software project are known before moving on. Commonly, developers and people within the software community refer to this phase as the requirements gathering phase. This step involves all of the stakeholders in the software project, from customers to end users of the finished software product.
- Once all of the requirements are gathered, they are written out as a statement of work. This allows the developers to clearly understand the objectives of writing the software. This is a very crucial step when working with software developers since it can really make or break the project. A poorly written requirements document will turn into a poor final software product.
- Designers then create the design for the user interface. This is a crucial step because people typically can't use the software without some sort of user interface on top. In rare cases, there is only a command line interface required (which is aimed at advanced users) but the majority of people will want to work with a simple and elegant user interface. The design is key to ensuring a successful app: a bad design can lead to a low rate of user adoption.
- Following the user interface, the software developers then go on to create the app's code. The way that this is done varies based on the platform that the app will run on, and what kind of data is being used. There are 3 big components of this step: creating a database system for the app to store data, connecting the app to any external APIs or frameworks, and writing code that is used to interact with APIs and databases. The majority of mobile apps use some sort of API, so developers need to work with a language for retrieving data.
- Before the software is deployed, the software needs to be tested to ensure there won't be any problems. The objective of testing is to try and "break" the system and look for any issues which may arise. If testing is able to break the system, then developers typically need to go back to the drawing board in order to revamp the app's code. This is a very bad sign that something needs to be redone, and it's on the core developer team to fix any problems before moving on.
- Once the software has passed all of the tests, it's time for the software to be implemented. Implementation is the actual process of getting the software from the development team to the customer. Once customers start using the software, they provide feedback which might require a revamp of the actual application. Customer feedback is crucial because it is what allows the development team to improve the idea.
The value of the agile development methodology is that it allows for multiple iterations to occur. If requirements change, if there is a need for a new feature or customer feedback mandates a change, it's possible for the new project to start over from the first step in the process. Agile allows for constant change, which is often necessary
In many cases, offshore software development teams can be quite overwhelming for those individuals who are new to managing software projects. That is why it's often necessary for you to pick the right team to work with. You want to work with an offshore team that is accommodating and able to work around your needs. Ensuring that the offshore software development process functions well is crucial to the overall success of the project.
Things to Keep In Mind When Choosing an Offshore Team:
- You should be able to easily communicate with the offshore development team. There might be a few language barriers, but you should be able to push past those by speaking clearly and making sure that your requirements are understood. When communicating with an offshore team, make sure that you avoid excessive jargon and vague terms that the team might not be able to understand.
- Make sure that you're able to form a good relationship with the team. You want to be able to communicate with your team directly regarding their skills and expertise and understand the value that they can bring to the software project. If you have a bad relationship with your team, then they won't be as willing to work hard for you as they would have been with a great relationship.
- Make sure that you're receiving regular progress reports from your offshore team on what they are doing. Understanding the progress your team is making on your project is another key to making sure that your project is successful. You also want to have an idea of how your project is progressing. A lack of progress reports could mean that your project has stalled.
- Make sure that you're able to communicate your requirements. Don't assume that your offshore team will automatically understand a vague explanation of what you are trying to accomplish. Don't leave any item on your list to chance, and be very specific when you are describing the project that you are trying to accomplish. Any development team might not be able to understand specifically what you mean whenever you reference something vague.
- Make sure that the team is receptive to your feedback. If you want something to be changed with the overall software project, be sure to state it. Don't hesitate to be specific regarding what you are trying to accomplish. Hesitating to make a request for a change just means that everyone is more likely to be frustrated in the end.
- Don't forget that holidays may cause a slight delay in your project. Don't be in a rush to get the final product done, as a holiday might come up during the project. Your offshore developers are human too, and they value their time off just as much as you would normally do.
The biggest advantage to working with an offshore software center that's already in place is that much of the heavy lifting is done for you. First of all, you won't need to recruit offshore developers for your project. This can be a huge convenience because this step can take a very long time. Recruiting and vetting your developers is very time to consume because not all developers are qualified to work on your project.
Working with an offshore programming outsourcing firm (such as ours) is a huge advantage that you will have over your competitors. This will end up with a final product that you can sell at a much lower cost than you would have anticipated. This means that you will be able to generate more sales for your final product. Offshore software product development, when executed well, is able to produce the result for you that you would come to expect.
We are a full-service firm. This means we can take your concept and execute it from start to finish. If you have a web app concept, then we're able to also serve as your offshore web application development provider of choice. These services which we provide are designed to be your best resource.