Pros of native development:
1 ) Stability and high working speed: in development are used such tools, sharpened for a specific platform: Xcode and Swift/Objective-C for iOS, Android Studio and Java for Android. Here we develop a native language, and benefits of each of them are used fully, and this way ensuring the best application performance.
2) Great opportunities in the required functionality realization: Developing for each platform is led by the appropriate tools, so we are able to use the features of the platform that allows you to make the app more flexible and scalable. For you, it’s an opportunity to add features painlessly and improve the app in future.
3) No restrictions from third-party libraries during writing the code, ability to avoid compromise solutions: Architectures of mobile devices operating systems are very different, so each universal cross-platform solution imposes significant restrictions on the development process. If your app has a complex architecture or a non-standard functionality, the best solution is a native development.
4) Availability of the standard decisions in UI/UX, you don’t have to spend your time for adjustment: Apps for iOS and Android have significant differences not only in architecture schedule but also in the features of user’s interface, the behavioral patterns of each platform users are different. Native apps are easier for users, and you’ll save time on designing the only one view of the application.
We always recommend native developments in such cases:
If application performance and interface convenience matter. It’s assumed that the constant use of system resources and the mobile devices functions: cameras, GPS, accelerometer and other sensors. Low applications power compulsion is important. Requires a complex interface and/or complex animation. Integration with third-party resources is required (APIs, etc.)
Pros of hybrid development:
1) Development speed is a little bit higher, but it requires time and resources less it’s a major plus of cross-platform development. App customizes right on a few operating systems, so there is no need to produce unique items for each platform. It’s also necessary fewer app developers, what gives an opportunity to start the development with a smaller budget.
2) Ability to use the same code base for two platforms: The business logic of the application works the same on all of the platforms, what lets to avoid the potential errors and significantly simplify changes of the application logic – you don’t really have to do double and triple work.
3) Ability to use one code base for two platforms also saves time for development.
4) Updates and support: you should notice that the advantages of cross-platform solutions and budget saving occurs only if you don’t need the additional adjustment for every platform, the application logic is simple, the user’s interface is austere, and you don’t plan to add new functionality and change the logic in future – otherwise all the benefits of cross-platform development come to naught, and the development time is increased into two times.
Thus, cross-platform solutions are beneficial in the following cases if:
- It’s required to write a prototype of the app on several platforms for the shortest time as possible, but it’s not planned to continue developing this prototype.
- During developing the complex games there are powerful cross-platform solutions like Unity3D, which has a rich built-in functionality for developers.
- If the application takes all the information from the server, the animation and the interface isn’t very important, but logic is implemented on the server.
- If you can humble with the modest performance, and that the content is downloaded from the Internet a little bit slowly.
We always recommend our clients the cross platform development because it saves time and finance, using, in this case, all the advantages for each mobile platform (Android, iOS, Windows). Read more about this in Xamarin's cross-platform development on our blog.